The world in spiritual terms is a reference to the corrupt world system. It is not a reference to the physical planet earth or an excuse to avoid our responsibilities to be good stewards of the planet God has given us.
Nevertheless, asking this question is a good start. So how can you know if you love the world or the things in the world? Examine yourself in the light of God’s word.
We read the answer to a similar question the Psalmist once asked in Psalm 119:9—How shall a young man cleanse his way?
The answer: by taking heed to the word of God. What does the Word of God have to say about knowing if you love the world?
Scriptural Foundations
Believers in Christ are born again into the Kingdom of God (John 3:5). They are new creatures in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17) and a peculiar people (Titus 2:14, 1 Peter 2:9)—the purchased possession of God who are being developed into the image of Jesus Christ His Son (Romans 8:29).
A major component of that image is that, in Christ, we are in the world but no longer of the world (John 17:14–16, John 18:36). We are likened to pilgrims and heavenly citizens passing through (Hebrews 11:13, 1 Peter 2:11, Philippians 3:20, cf. Hebrews 13:14). This has a connection to what we read in Colossians 3:1–2. So if we have been born again, we ought to be seeking those things which are above.
In 1 John 2:15–17, the Lord tells us not to love the world. The world in the Bible is often a reference to the world system where self-centeredness, appearances, and ambition rule.
Jesus taught that if the world hate us, it was because it hated Him first (John 15:18), because Jesus was not of the world, did not think like the world, nor exhibited its practices. The inference is that the world will hate Christ in us (John 15:19) which will be evident when we are seeking those things which are above.
Seeing Ourselves in the Light of God’s Word
These are only a few references from the Bible, but they contain elements to questions that we can ask ourselves. For example, am I living as a new creation in Christ (born again) or as an old creation (the old man)?
Am I walking in this world as a citizen of the Kingdom of Heaven or as a citizen of the world? Which kingdom do I identify more with?
Am I humbly submitting myself to be conformed to the image of Christ through the Holy Spirit’s leading and teaching or resisting it?
Am I seeking those things which are above, or do I look for the latest worldly trends? That is, am I desirous to know more from the word or more interested in keeping up to date with the things of today?
Is my mind occupied with God or with the world? Where are my thoughts typically?
Are my eyes looking up to God or looking around at the things of this world?
Am I looking out for others (loving and giving) or for myself only (self-centered)?
Am I concerned about developing the inner spirit man (spiritual growth) or more concerned about the outward man (physical and aesthetic temporal improvements)?
Do I seek God’s will in matters, or do I pursue my own will?
Am I enjoying the things of God, or am I enjoying the pleasures of sin more? Am I convicted when I do enjoy the pleasures of sin, or have I become desensitized to sin?
Does the world see Christ in me and avoid me, or does it see itself in me and want to hang out with me?
One interesting point is that if we will humbly seek the righteousness of God in Christ, God has promised to reveal our errors, saying, if we are otherwise minded, He shall reveal it to us (Philippians 3:15).
Conclusion
In the end, this question can only be answered by you with the Holy Spirit’s illuminating guidance. Ask God to reveal areas in your life where the world has taken hold. If you see yourself as more inclined to the world in certain areas and or attached to the things of this world, confess it and ask God for more grace. Remember, in Christ, every believer has an inexhaustible supply of grace available to them.
---
Written by Jerry Smith
Image source: https://www.istockphoto.com/portfolio/maica

No comments:
Post a Comment