Wednesday, April 15, 2020

As a Christian What Music Should I Sing?


We read in Psalm 113:3, "From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the LORD'S name is to be praised." That is, we're to praise God all day long. And, when we have opportunities to praise Him, we should be proclaiming the glories of God in praise. So if we have time to sing, we have time to praise God in song. And that, from morning to evening.

In Psalm 147:1, the Lord declares,

Praise ye the LORD: for it is good to sing praises unto our God; for it is pleasant; and praise is comely.

It's good to sing praises to God. If it's good, that means it pleases God.

In Heaven, Music Centers on God


In Revelation 5:9 we read:

And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy ...

Revelation 15:3 tells us,

And they sing the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and marvellous are thy works, Lord God Almighty; just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints.

God used John to give us a glimpse of heaven. And what do we find there? Music and singing. What are the people singing about in heaven? They're praising God.

So if praising God in song is appropriate in heaven, it's certainly appropriate on earth from His people.

Why Not Praise God in Song?


Isaiah 12:5 reminds us,

Sing unto the LORD; for he hath done excellent things: this is known in all the earth.

Isn't God worthy of praise for all the great things He's done for us? Where did we get our health, our house, our strength to make money, our house, our blessings, and more?

So What Music Should Christians Be Singing?


It's clear from the Bible God-exalting, God-praising, God-glorifying songs are what we ought to be singing.

But Do the Songs We Sing Fit the Bill?


Have you ever really listened to some of the words in the songs people sing?

"Imagine there's no heaven ... "

"You're everything to me ..." in reference to a man or woman.

"Save me ..." in reference to another person.

"You're all my heart desires ..." talking about someone that is not God.

"I did it my way ..."

And on it could go.

God wants us to examine all things in light of His word. We're not to be duped into singing songs that exalt self, others, the world, or things in the world. These are a direct affront to what God has not only commanded, but what He deserves.

The Bible says,


Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created (Revelation 4:11).

Surely there's something you can praise God for today. Why not listen and sing along with some God-glorifying songs?

Not just songs that sound religious, Christian, or spiritual, but songs that are actually sprinkled with the word of God, clear, and doctrinal:

"Praise Him, praise him, Jesus our blessed Redeemer ... "

"Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe ..."

"To God be the glory, great things he hath done ..."

"He's the Lily of the valley ..."

"All praise to Him who reigns above ... "

And there are so many more.

Boring You Say?


Why? As Christians, our spirits should be inclined to the things of God (Colossians 3:1).

Doesn't God tell us He's looking for people to worship Him in spirit and truth (John 4:23-24)? Spirit, meaning born again; truth, meaning according to His word.

Where Does That Leave Us?


The Lord tells us repeatedly not to be ignorant:

Now I would not have you ignorant ... (Romans 1:3).

For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant ... (Romans 11:25).

... I would not that ye should be ignorant ... (1 Corinthians 10:1).

... I would not have you ignorant (1 Corinthians 12:1).

For we would not, brethren, have you ignorant ... (2 Corinthians 1:8).

... But I would not have you to be ignorant (1 Thessalonians 4:13).

But, beloved, be not ignorant ... (2 Peter 3:8). 

He also tells us to study so we won't be ashamed and to know what pleases Him (2 Timothy 2:15):

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Therefore, I can know that some songs are good, and some are evil. Using the word of God I can prove what pleases God.

Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord (Ephesians 5:10).

So when I get up in the morning and hear my neighbor's licentious pop music, I can know with certainty it's evil.

When I go to the store and hear godless music playing, I can know for sure it's evil.

When I hear people singing worldly, ungodly, songs, I need not have any doubts the act itself is evil. I am not judging (condemning) people, but I can judge (discern) their behaviors.

I don't have to wonder if this music or that music is okay, for Christians to listen to (an ever-popular debate for some to justify what they listen to and sing).

The Bottom Line Is That if It Doesn't Extol the Lord, It's Not Right


Does that mean I should condemn others for their choices of music? No.

Does it mean that I must demand others change their music? No.

Does it mean I should not fellowship with brethren who listen to worldly music? No.

What it does mean, is that I can know the music that pleases the Lord and what does not, and behave myself accordingly.

If you'd like to explore the subject of music further. We have a book that discusses the topic in more detail:



---
Written by Jerry Smith
Image source: Photo by David Beale on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment