Paul wrote Timothy, and one of the points he raised in the first chapter was the proper motivation for teaching:
Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned: From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling; Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm (1 Timothy 1:5-7, KJV).
Teachers in church teach because they love the brethren and want to edify them. If that isn't our motive for teaching, then even though we think we understand the Bible, we really do not.
Questions teachers should ask themselves:
Questions teachers should ask themselves:
- Why am I teaching in church?
- Am I trying to show that I have knowledge?
- Am I trying to show that I'm smart?
- Am I seeking to impress others?
- Am I teaching because I want to have a ministry?
If your answers do not reflect Christian love for the brethren, Paul says, you have the wrong idea, what you teach is just vanity, and you have no clue what you are saying or why you have been given an opportunity to teach.
================
Feature image source: https://www.istockphoto.com/portfolio/nazarethman?assettype=image&sort=best

No comments:
Post a Comment